Headlines News :
Home » » Lagos International Table Tennis Classics: Assar, Xing Are Tournament’s Top Seeds, As Senior’s Singles Serve Off

Lagos International Table Tennis Classics: Assar, Xing Are Tournament’s Top Seeds, As Senior’s Singles Serve Off

Written By sportsweight.blogspot.com on Monday, August 26, 2013 | 9:10 AM


 
With the official commencement of the Lagos International Table Tennis  Classics, Egypt’s Omar Assar and Congo Brazzaville’sHan Xing have been  rated the tournament’s top seeded players, as the senior’s singles  events serve off at Molade Okoya-Thomas Hall of Teslim Balogun Stadium.
 
In the seeding released by the Main Organising Committee (MOC),
Egypt’s Assar, who is rated 60 in the world has been drawn in group one
alongside Nigeria’s trio of Jide Ogidiolu, Mayowa Babatunde and Charles
Isah.
  Italy’s Mihai Bobocica, who is seeded number two is in group two  while Team Nigeria stars, Segun Toriola and Aruna Quadri are seeded  number three and four respectively.
  
In the women’s seeding, current African Senior’s champion, Congo  Brazzaville’s Xing is rated number one, while Nigeria’s Funke Oshonaike  is number two.
  In the men’s singles, over 64 players have been drawn into 16 groups  made up four players per group with the top players in each group  proceeding to the round of 16.
 
In the women’s event, the 32 players were drawn into eight groups  with the top players in each group advancing to the quarterfinal stage.
 
For Congo Brazzaville’s Saheed Idowu, it is only Toriola and Quadri  that can stand between him and the title.
 
The Nigeria-born player said he was really impressed with the  organization of the tournament, saying, “this is indeed a wake time for  Nigeria table tennis.”

  “I am here to claim the title and I know I have the ability to  achieve this. I know that many people will be scared of Egypt’s Assar  because of his ranking but I want to let you know that I had played
against Assar at club level. So he is beatable in this competition. 
 
The  players that I feel can prevent me from claiming the titleare Toriola  and Quadri because we have been playing together before I left for  Brazzaville,” Idowu said.
  For him, taking part in the competition is not about winning the cash  prize but also improving on his world ranking. “I am here for the money  and I am also here to garner point to improve my world ranking. I think  the atmosphere is good for any player to give his or her best.
 
 But I  want to sincerely commend the organizers for putting this tournament  together and I look forward to more of this,” he added.

Share this article :

0 comments:

Speak up your mind

Tell us what you're thinking... !

Football News

TABLE TENNIS NEWS

Sample text

...sport mixed passion

About Me

My Photo
A sports correspondent whose love for sports is second to none. And my desire is to have a peaceful world.You can contact me on yinkafmhall@yahoo.com or +2348023953954

Visitors

bet9ja

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Sports Update With Yinka - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger